Travel and Expenses information

This page contains information for staff and students on travel expenses as well as accomodation while at CERN.

Student information

STFC funded students

For students funded by the Science and Technologies Funding Council (STFC) who started before 2008 expenses forms can be found here. N.B. Remember, (try to) apply for expenses before travel and to claim afterwards within the allowed time periods.

STFC funded students who started from 2008 should contact Valerie Flood about travel arrangements, accommodation requirements and travel insurance cover as well as LTA arrangements. Also see for travel insurance with STFC.

SUPA funded students

Follow the instructions for Staff claiming GU expenses below.

Staff information

CCLRC Budget

All current CCLRC travel forms can be found on the Particle Physics travel and claims page.

CCLRC instructions and URLs change from time to time: please see the page above. Here is an overview for Glasgow users.

Firstly, if the business trip is overseas, a CCLRC Overseas Visit form is required in advance .This should be fully completed, signed by the BudgetHolders and faxed to Debbie Loader at RAL on 01235 445672. The ORG code is "PUG" for Glasgow.

To book flights through Key Travel, please email Valerie Flood ( with the following information:

* Destination

* Departure and return date

* Preferred time of day for the flights

* Budget code (obtainable from the Buget Holder link above).

Once the flights are provisionally booked with Key Travel they will forward details as an options - please check the details and confim with Valerie that it is all fine. Valerie will email Key Travel who will then forward the e-ticket to you.

UK train tickets can also be purchased through Key Travel, they can either be delivered by post or collected at the train station. For posted tickets these need to be booked well in advance.

Department Budget

The same information as above is required for booking flights, but a university budget centre is required instead of a project code.


Travel insurance is arranged by the University Finance Office. To apply for Travel insurance read the Finance & Purchasing Office pages and complete the online form

Claiming Expenses

The various expense claim forms which you may require are available online: CCLRC advance form (.doc, .pdf)

CCLRC expenses claim form for UK trip (.xls, .pdf)

CCLRC expenses claim form for overseas trip (.doc, .pdf)

GU expense claim form (media_148263_en.xls, see

Please note that the following information should be input on the authoriser section of the GU expenses form:

Surname: LONG
Forename: ANDREW
Dept No: 407
Staff Number: 110906

Please ensure that the expense claim forms are filled out fully and accurately to facilitate swift payment, and return the complete forms to room 477 to be forwarded to the appropriate place.

All CCLRC expense claims for UK trips, regardless of the total amount claimed, require the budget holder's signature. Glasgow University Finance Office will only accept expense claims written in black ink. Forms in blue, or any colour other than black, will be returned unpaid.

Accommodation while at CERN

The group has a flat within the close vicinity of CERN. Group members travelling to CERN should therefore use this accommodation if at all possible. Availability and booking of the CERN flat can be found on the 2010 flat booking page.

There is also the 2010 flat booking page.

-- KennyWraight - 16 Jul 2008

Edit | Attach | Print version | History: r24 | r11 < r10 < r9 < r8 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r9 - 2010-05-11 - AndrewPickford
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback